Today I Made... a Gum Pouch, Part 2!

trident gum pouch

Earlier this year I made a gum pouch for Wrigley's gum. That was one of my favorite projects so far, so when we received a request for a Trident gum pouch we jumped on the chance and ended up with several variations. I originally made a simple pouch where the gum could only be retrieved after pulling the packaging out, or alternatively the gum would have to be loaded into the pouch. That was ok, but I wanted to make a better design where the package stayed in the pouch with seamless opening and closing. 

So... after finishing that second design, we found out that Trident had completely changed their packaging. Not only did they change the size of the box and gum pieces, but they went from a plain box with a flap to a fold out design. We had apparently picked up the last of the old stock before it was replaced by the new gum. That means I'll be following this post with part 3, my favorite gum pouch so far!

In the mean time, keep scrolling to see the process for this wet formed pouch.

Vegtan soaked in water, formed over the gum packaging and left to dry overnight.

Vegtan soaked in water, formed over the gum packaging and left to dry overnight.

Glueing the corners.

Glueing the corners.

Front piece glued to the back and stitch holes punched.

Front piece glued to the back and stitch holes punched.

Trimming the corners. My favorite step.

Trimming the corners. My favorite step.

Trimmed, stitched, and burnished.

Trimmed, stitched, and burnished.

The flap piece, made to fit the packaging flap. I had to set the snap first so it was a bit difficult making sure it stayed centered while glueing. There's probably a better way, but it worked.

The flap piece, made to fit the packaging flap. I had to set the snap first so it was a bit difficult making sure it stayed centered while glueing. There's probably a better way, but it worked.

More glueing.

More glueing.

And the finished pouches:

trident gum pouch.jpeg
gumpouch
One of the test versions. I decided to try the blue paint on this to see how it wears.

One of the test versions. I decided to try the blue paint on this to see how it wears.

Inside of the test pouch. I kind of like the bit of color.

Inside of the test pouch. I kind of like the bit of color.

Keep an eye out for part 3... soon!

 

For more projects, check out the posts linked below!